Crack Chaser

Many Engineers use the term “crack rout and seal” on their drawings to describe the process of preparing cracks in concrete before filling them with sealant.  However, that terminology is not well known to the masons who actually perform the work.  Masons tend to say “crack chaser” to describe the same scope.  This author discovered that at about 70 feet above the town of Arlington on a lift, when a mason – let’s call him Phil – furrowed his brow at the term “crack rout and seal.” 

“You mean, a crack chaser?” Phil asked. 

So if you want your masons to understand your repair for, say, a topside repair of cracks through a cast-in-place concrete slab, just say “crack chaser.”