Agassiz House, Cambridge


CBI evaluated the exterior envelope, and then designed repairs to restore the entire exterior of the Agassiz House located on the Radcliffe Yard at Harvard University to the satisfaction of the Cambridge Historical Commission.


The building was built in 1904 and was designed by noted Boston architect A.W. Longfellow (nephew of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow).  The building was designed as a prominent theatrical arts center for Radcliffe College, as well as general classroom and instruction spaces.  The building now serves as the Admissions Office and Visitor’s Center for Harvard University, as well as continued use as a theater.  The scope of the work included:

  • Selective repair of the deteriorated decorative concrete elements
  • Selective replacement and reconstruction of cracked brick and deteriorated mortar joints
  • Repair, preparation and repainting of wood windows, columns, doors, and exterior trim / cornices
  • Replacement of deteriorated column capitals
  • Replacement of existing storm windows
  • Replacement of existing low slope membrane roofs
  • Replacement of broken or cracked slate on the roof
  • Installation of a new traffic grade decorative waterproof membrane on the front porch
  • Waterproofing of below grade walls and horizontal surfaces
  • Replacement and modernization of the historic elevator